Saturday, 19 May 2012

Suspicious “Yahoo Alert”, I have Reported to the Police! (1)

Is bad luck has anything to do with virus? If not, why is it being spread like ripple…

Thursday, 17 May

Thursday morning … got up with high spirit, thinking of taking my MacBook Pro (“MBP”) to Apple Shop to repair (click here to read).  So I brought it with me to work.  On my way to office, my best friend S asked via what’s app to have lunch together, I said yes but just need to leave some time for going to the Apple Shop …

Then another good friend R, who is also my personal IT helpdesk, called up to asked about my MBP.  We had a good chat about the repair strategy and update each other about our recent life.  What a good start of the day!

However before I went into a meeting, around a quarter after 10 o’clock I noted from my iPhone that someone sent a fake email to myself using my name and my Yahoo email address…

All of a sudden, chaos and nightmares came around without a hints, I literally did not have any effort to deal with my MBP at all starting from that moment...

The fake email was about “I am being mugged in Philippines and ask for financial help from my friends (to lend me USD3,000!)”. 

When I first read it, I didn’t pay much attention to it as I received the same several days ago from my high school teacher.  I knew it’s fake and thought that even if my friends receive this, they are smart enough to judge it.  So I went into the meeting without any action.

When I finished my meeting around an hour later, I noted quite a number of missed calls and what’s app messages on my iPhone.  Some of these were from my business counterpart such as property agent etc.

I replied the missed calls and what’s app messages one by one, all of them were asking about my safety.  Thanks All!

I explained to my friends just ignore that email as I am safe and now going to work as usual.  However, I started to worry as it looks like a lot of people, probably all contacts in my address book, had received the fake email.

I then check my other email address via my iphone as well and noted something actually went wrong…

There was a notification email from sent by Yahoo to my alternate address (an email address not from Yahoo that I provided to them when I opened the Yahoo account).  The notification was sent at 10:06 (which was around 10 minutes before the fake email was sent); and it said that a new email address, which is almost exactly the same as my Yahoo email address, has been added to my Yahoo id…

OMG!! Someone was trying to cone my identity!

I immediately log in to the Yahoo id via my desktop computer at office.  Though I can get into it, the nightmare is…

All THE EMAILS AND FOLDERS THERE, including over a thousand personal emails carrying a lot of my personal information from address, phone no. or even property information, were ALL GONE!! I tried to change my password immediately but looked like it's been changed ... but I wasn't sure because though I could see my mailbox but I couldn't get into my account profile and setting!!

In the email box, basically nothing being left in my mail box, i.e. all my emails and information were being STOLEN or DELETED!!

I finally recognize the seriousness and have a quick discussion with my friend and my boss for their advice.  I hence decided to report this to the Police immediately…

Because of this, my lunch with S started at the Police station!




4 comments:

Coffee said...

Have known what really happened to yr mailbox already ? How about the accounts inside ? I think you need to fix them out right away.

Hope to receive yr good news soon.

Take care !

laulong said...

電子網絡世界係方便同有效,但真的不安全。希望你的困擾盡快過去。

SKII said...

Coffee, don't really know. but Yahoo has recovered the image of last week for me... also I started to change email information for bank etc...

SKII said...

校長,我啲運氣開始由谷底回升 ... 都話明係“谷底”,冇得再衰㗎啦!

Related Posts with Thumbnails